Middle School Graphic Novels
The Study Island Reading: Revisited & Reconsidered program actively engages students’ interest using graphic novels. Our aim is to help students revisit what reading means and reconsider what they think literature can be.
- Assesses students comprehension using Bloom’s Taxonomy of Educational Objectives
- Engages readers through vivid illustrations and texts
- Improves phonemic awareness, fluency, text comprehension and writing
- Connects students to vocabulary and engaging storylines
- Improves student confidence and further their desire to read
- Assists struggling readers, reluctant readers, avoidance readers, and English language learners by helping develop reading comprehension skills
Created by ABDO Books, the Graphic Planet series is designed to improve reading fluency for upper Elementary School students. The Graphic Planet series emphasizes history and nonfiction graphic novels. With strong historical themes, this program is perfect for cross-curriculum instruction. Topics include biographies of important leaders, events such as the American Revolution, and historical innovations.
View Demo ▸
The World As You Know It
Study Island’s original graphic novel, The World as You Know It has a 4th to 6th grade readability level with an interest level targeting Middle School students. The six-issue series allows readers to develop a familiarity with recurring characters throughout the stories, which in turn can bolster interest in reading. In addition, two volumes cover math and science themes to reinforce subject matter vocabulary.
View Demo ▸
❝Study Island reinforces what’s being taught in class, but it approaches it in a different way. As students answer questions in Study Island, they’re learning, but they feel like they’re playing a video game. This promotes students’ acquisition of skills while making learning interactive and fun.❞